Cloning and Expanding a Intel NUC Hard Drive from 1TB to 2TB

I will explain how I upgraded my Intel NUC ( NUC8i5BEH ) from a 1TB SSD to a 2TB M.2 NVMe. This should work with any Intel NUC as long as you meet the assumptions.

Method: Utilising Clonezilla to clone and expand a 1TB SSD DAppnode install onto a 2TB M2. NVMe

Assumptions:

• You have a INTEL NUC with a spare SSD or M2. NVMe slot.
  • Using DAppNode ISO (though should work with other installations)

Requirements:

• USB thumb drive to boot Clonezilla

• New SSD or M.2 NVMe hard drive

If you are unsure of what drive to get. Intel provides list of validated hard drives.
Scroll down till you find your model NUC. The list isn’t all inclusive, I bought a newer 970 Evo plus than the model listed and it worked fine.

Note

You may not want to upgrade your drive yet. You could try pruning the database to free up some space as detailed here.
Another options is to add a secondary drive and move the docker images over. The FAQ details how to do this under the heading " How to mount docker data on a different SSD?"
One more option is to look at LVM.
If you are wanting to move forward then forget these options and continue.

Steps:

1. Check issues detailed below.

2. Properly shutdown your DAppnode System and containers.

3. Install your new hard drive in the Intel NUC. You may want to download the Intel NUC User Guide for detailed instructions. Here is the guide for my model

4. Install Clonezilla on your USB drive as detailed here

5. Plug the USB drive into your Intel NUC and boot the system. If CloneZilla doesn’t boot, restart the NUC and press f2 to enter bios. From there you can boot the USB or change the boot priority/order to boot the USB first.

6. After CloneZilla starts follow the step-by-step guide here.

Once you get to the “Choose the mode to run the following wizard about advanced parameters:” menu select Expert.

7. From expert mode follow this step-by-step guide here

> You need to use the -k1 parameter. This will expand your partition after cloning.

1. Follow both guides until it has completed. In the last step choose to shutdown the system.
  2. Disconnect the Intel NUC and remove the old hard drive. If you are unsure how, follow the instruction in the Intel NUC User Guide.
  3. remove the USB and boot the new system.
  4. All being successful you should now have DAppnode running on a new hard drive.

Optional:

1. You may want to upgrade DAppnode from command line. After successful upgrade.

sudo wget -O - https://installer.dappnode.io | sudo UPDATE=true bash

Issues:

Docker version too old and didn’t support cgroups v2

After cloning and rebooting onto the new hard drive I had the following issue when starting the DAppnode containers.

“Cannot start service api: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:345: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:281: applying cgroup configuration for process caused "mountpoint for cgroup not found\”

To fix this problem I upgraded Docker to version 20.10 as details here.

I suggest checking your docker version prior to upgrading.

You will need to be utilising command line. So either login from a terminal or via SSH.

From there issue the following command:
docker -v

If it is below 20.10 Upgrade.

5 Likes

Hey I followed the guide and everything cloned properly but my new storage space is showing the maximum of my old storage space. Anything else I need to configure? I did set the -k1 parameter as well so I am not sure what else is needed?

1 Like

Can you login and check that you have indeed expanded the partition? SSH into the box and use df -h.

Regards
Dylan

Same problem as mentioned by @bashastaker, after booting up the new drive main partition is still the same logical size as previously. I did check in the terminal using df -h and it also reports that the third partition is a little less than 1TB instead of 2TB. I have also tried to extend the partition with GParted and no luck either.

Hello Ucodia,
Can you provide more details about your system?

• Please detail your system specs, which Nuc?
  • df -h or fdisk -l output, not just confirmation of three partitions
  • dmesg output
  • details on the old and new drive
  • Confirmation you removed the old drive

Dylan

I just went through this. I had to expand the the Logical Volume. These are the instructions a friend gave me as a guide:

some thing like this:

Resize the Physical Volume to maximum of disk partition, use something like parted to increase it’s space

pvresize $PHYSICAL_VOLUME

Extend the logical volume to occupy the new physical volume space

lvextend -l +100%FREE $LOGICAL_VOLUME

increase the file system size

resizefs $ROOT_VOLUME

You can find your PHYSICAL_VOLUME with pvdisplay, LOGICAL_VOLUME with lvdisplay and the ROOT_VOLUME blkid (edited)

1 Like

@dylan I am running an Intel NUC10i5FNK, switched from a WD Blue SN550 1TB to a 2TB, NUC only has a single slot, I used an external NVMe SSD enclosure to do the cloning.

Instructions provided by @abendigo helped me resolve the issue. Had to use the following commands to manipulate the LVM:

List physical volumes

sudo pvdisplay

Resize physical volume

sudo pvresize $PHYSICAL_VOLUME

List logical volumes

sudo lvdisplay

Resize logical volume

sudo lvextend -l +100%FREE $LOGICAL_VOLUME

List filesystem path

sudo blkid

Resize filesystem

sudo resize2fs $ROOT_FILESYSTEM

Thanks very much @dylan and @abendigo for the tutorial and help :pray:

2 Likes

No worries i’m glad that resolved your issue. For others using LVM and would like to expand the LVM to include a second drive. Weiuohg provided a good link on how to do this. See the note section.

Thanks so much for this additional step, and a huge thank you to @dylan for creating this guide!

I extended the swap partition moving too quickly through the guide, but was able to reduce it, and then proceed as prompted.

thank you, Thank you, Thank you! The peace of mind on having a 2TB drive is really great. I appreciate you for posting the guide :slight_smile:

1 Like

I managed to pull this off yesterday but I used an offline Nvme duplicator to clone my drive. In addition to ucodia’s steps above I first made sure my docker was updated from the UI, then from ssh…
sudo apt-get install parted
sudo parted —pretend-input-tty /dev/nvme0n1 resizepart 3 100%
sudo partprobe
…then follow ucodia’s commands substituting my disks/partitions at the end of $ commands (nvme0n1/nvme0n1p3). I followed this for help with the parted disk expansion since I didn’t use clonezilla https://www.ryadel.com/en/linux-resize-extend-disk-partition-unallocated-space-centos-rhel-ubuntu-debian-vm/ but couldn’t get partx to install so used partprobe from parted instead.

Thank you for this guide!

Would the same (or similar) process work for a NUC with only one M2. NVMe slot and an external SSD?

My situation:

• Objective: upgrade from my 1TB NVMe to a 4TB NVMe
  • Hardware:
    • I have a NUC i7-10710U, which only has a single NVMe slot
    • I also have a spare 2TB external SSD that I can clean out and use to help

I don’t have a ton of experience with this kind of stuff, but my naive hope is that I can clone twice using the CloneZilla guide you present. Basically like this:

1. Clone from the 1TB NVMe to my 2TB external SSD
  2. Replace the 1TB NVMe with the new 4TB NVMe
  3. Clone from the 2TB external SSD to the 4TB NVMe

Would something along those lines work?

yes, though if you buy an enclosure for the nee m2, you can clone once.

i bought an enclosure and now have an external 1GB SSD that is great for large file captures.

1 Like

I was able to get everything cloned, but am running into the partition size issues @ucodia and @abendigo also ran into. I have tried following their helpful instructions, but can’t get the volume to expand.

Here is my fdisk -l output

I’ve also tried expanding the disk from dappnode’s UI, but that is erroring out too.

I’d appreciate any thoughts or help :pray:

EDIT: resolved!

Turns out the swap space had been erroneously extended (by me), so I needed to reduce that size and then try out the above instructions again to extend the root. Here are the steps I took;

1. $ sudo lvreduce /dev/dappnode-vg/swap_1 -L 512M to reduce the swap space (I used 512M as a test, but it seemed to have worked fully :man_shrugging: )
  2. $ sudo lvextend -l +100%FREE /dev/mapper/dappnode--vg-root to extend the root volume to take up the free space – this worked, extending it to 3.7T!
  3. $ sudo resize2fs /dev/dappnode-vg/root to extend the root file system size

Now my dappnode ui is showing the full 3.7T :partying_face: